Last Updated: December 16, 2021
Bizrate Insights, Inc. (“Bizrate”, “we”, “our”) is a Dotdash Meredith company. Your privacy is important to us. We provide this Privacy Statement to explain how we collect, use, and disclose personal information, as well as the choices you can make about your personal information.
When Does This Statement Apply?
This Privacy Statement applies when you interact with:
- Websites operated by us from which you are accessing this Privacy Statement (the “Websites”);
- Software applications made available by us for use on or through computers and mobile devices (the “Apps”);
- Our social media pages located on LinkedIn, Twitter (Bizrate Insights, Bizrate Surveys, Bizrate Rewards), Facebook (Bizrate Insights, Bizrate Surveys, Bizrate Survey, Bizrate Rewards), Instagram, and YouTube (collectively, our “Social Media Pages”); and
- HTML-formatted e-mail messages that we send to you or other communications with you, such as SMS messages, that link to this Privacy Statement.
Collectively, we refer to the Websites, Apps, Social Media Pages, and e-mails as the “Services.”
What Does It Say?
Read this Privacy Statement in full here. Here are the highlights:
What Personal Information Do We Collect About You?
How Do We Collect Personal Information?
How Do We Use Personal Information?
Who Do We Share Your Personal Information With?
How Can You Control Our Use of Your Personal Information?
We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 16.
Rights for Our California Residents
If you’re a resident of California, you have the rights to access and request the deletion of your personal information. We will not discriminate against you for exercising these rights.
We do not sell your personal information.
We also do not share your personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.
Rights for Our Nevada Residents
We do not sell your personal information.
How You Can Learn More
Click here to read our full Privacy Statement
Still can’t find what you’re looking for about our data privacy practices? Don’t worry, just reach out to us via e-mail by clicking here and we will get back to you!
What Personal Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
The Services collect personal information directly from you, for example, when you participate in surveys or submit reviews, register an account to access the Services, order publications and products, enter contests or sweepstakes, play games, take quizzes, vote in polls, participate in one of our online forums or communities, or redeem points for gift cards and other rewards. This information includes:
- E-mail address
- Postal code
- Other information that you may choose to provide, including if you participate in our survey panel, such as nickname, gender, age, ethnicity, educational level, occupation, income, marital status, political affiliation, religion, hobbies, number and age range of your children, health issues and your household’s health issues – such as medical conditions, medical conditions of those you give care to, the use of visual/hearing aids, allergies, physical symptoms, and use of prescription and over-the-counter medications
We need to collect personal information in order to provide the Services to you. If you do not provide certain personal information, we may not be able to provide the Services you request. If you disclose any personal information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with the Services, you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
From Other Sources
We receive your personal information from other sources, for example:
- Other businesses owned by Dotdash Meredith, when we have the appropriate agreements in place, including Synapse Group, Inc.
- Market research companies and third-party survey sponsors that have partnered with us for survey panels, when they share your demographic information (but not your survey answers) with us
- Publicly available databases
- Joint marketing partners
Information Automatically Collected
Browser and device information
Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, IP address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the Services (such as the App) you are using.
IP Address. Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your browser by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the pages visited. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Geolocation Data. We may collect the physical location of your device by using satellite, cell phone tower, or Wi-Fi signals. You may be permitted to allow or deny such uses of your device’s location, but if you do, we will not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
App usage data
When you download and use the App, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
Cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies
Some of our automatic data collection is facilitated by cookies and similar technologies. Like many online services, we use the following technologies:
Cookies, which are text files that websites store on a visitor’s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser for the purpose of helping you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, enabling functionality, helping us understand user activity and patterns, and facilitating analytics and online advertising.
Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs), which may be used to demonstrate that a webpage or email was accessed or opened, or that certain content was viewed or clicked.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
We use personal information for the following purposes:
Providing the Services and fulfilling your requests
- To provide the Services to you, such as by allowing you to submit reviews, assisting you with redeeming points for gift cards and other rewards, sending surveys to you, and providing you with related customer service
- To allow you to participate in surveys from third parties
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, for example, when you send us questions, suggestions, compliments or complaints, or when you request information about our Services
- To complete your transactions, verify your personal information, and provide you with related customer service
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies
Analyzing personal information to improve the Services and providing personalized services
- To analyze or predict our users’ preferences in order to prepare aggregated trend reports on how our digital content is used, so we can improve our Services
- To better understand your interests and preferences, so that we can personalize our interactions with you and provide you with information and/or offers tailored to your interests
- To determine which panels would be appropriate based on your interests, background, and experiences
Providing our newsletter and/or other marketing materials
- To send you marketing related e-mails, with information about our Services and other news about our company
Allowing you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions
- We may offer you the opportunity to participate in a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion.
- Your personal information will be used to facilitate your participation in the sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, including for receiving payouts and prizes.
- Some of these promotions have additional rules about how we will use and disclose your personal information. Please read those additional rules before choosing to participate.
Aggregating and/or anonymizing personal information
- We may aggregate and/or anonymize personal information so that it will no longer be considered personal information. We do so to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose, as it no longer identifies you or any other individual.
For other business purposes
- For audits, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and to address legal, regulatory, or contractual requirements
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, for example, to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft
- For enhancing, improving, repairing, maintaining, or modifying our current products and services
- For developing new products and services
With Whom Do We Share Your Personal Information?
We may share personal information with:
Gift card providers for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
Retailers and market research companies that have partnered with us for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement and so that they can use information relating to surveys.
Personal information disclosed to these third parties may include the optional demographic information provided by you.
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the information privacy or security or other practices of retailers and market research companies that have partnered with us. If you do not want your personal information disclosed to our business partners, please do not submit personal information to us.
Third-party partners and sponsors of sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions.
Our third-party service providers, to facilitate services they provide to us.
These can include providers of services such as website hosting, data analysis, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, e-mail delivery, auditing, and other services.
Payment processors. Any payment card information that our business customers use to make a purchase on the Service is collected and processed directly by our payment processors, which use your payment data in accordance with their own privacy policies.
By using the Services, you may choose to share personal information publicly.
You may be able to post information and content in connection with surveys, reviews, our Social Media pages, our online forums or communities, and other services. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. Reviews, for example, may be posted on third-party sites or services, including search engines.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your personal information as necessary or appropriate:
To comply with applicable law and regulations
To cooperate with public and government authorities or law enforcement
To respond to a request or order or to provide information we believe is necessary or appropriate
For other legal reasons
To enforce our terms and conditions or protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others
In connection with a sale or business transaction
We reserve the right to disclose or transfer any personal information we collect to third parties in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, joint venture, assignment, foreclosure, liquidation, amalgamation, or any other type of acquisition, reorganization, disposal, transfer, conveyance, or financing of all or any portion of our or Dotdash Meredith’s business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may share your personal information in other circumstances with your consent.
How Can You Control Our Use of Your Personal Information?
What Rights Do You Have?
We will take reasonable steps to accurately record the personal information that you provide to us and any subsequent updates.
Right to Know: You have the right to ask us to tell you what personal information we collect use, disclose, and sell about you.
Right to Request Deletion: You have the right to ask us to delete the personal information we maintain about you.
Right to be Free from Discrimination: You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
Right to Access or Correct Your Personal Information: You have the right to request access to and to edit certain personal information that you have provided to us through our Services.
If you are in the U.S. and wish to exercise your rights, please use the request form available here.
We will need to verify that you are who you say you are before we delete or share personal information with you. You may need to provide us with a copy of your utility bill so that we can verify your identity. After you submit your request, you will be sent a confirmation e-mail and need to click on the link provided.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information to comply with legal requirements and for recordkeeping purposes and to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Authorized Agents. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. If you use an authorized agent, please include written permission that you have designated that agent to make the request, or proof of the agent’s power of attorney. We may follow up with you to verify your identity before processing your authorized agent’s request.
What Other Choices Do You Have?
You may opt out of receiving marketing-related e-mails from us. If you no longer want to receive marketing related e-mails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by clicking unsubscribe in any e-mail you receive from us or submitting this form. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
Cookies & Similar Technologies
- Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser option so that you will not receive cookies and you can also delete existing cookies from your browser. However, you may find that some parts of the site will not function properly if you have refused cookies or similar tracking technologies and you should be aware that disabling cookies or similar tracking technologies might prevent you from accessing some of our content. If you wish to block cookies, click here to find out how, or check your browser’s instructions.
Do Not Track.Bizrate does not recognize the “do not track” signals that some browsers may employ.
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information, or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any website or service to which the Services link. The inclusion of a link on the Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Apple, Google, other device manufacturers or software providers, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, or other social media platform providers, including with respect to any personal information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Apps or our Social Media Pages.
The Sites are general audience sites and are not intended for use by children. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 16.
Additional Privacy Information
Sensitive Information. Unless we request it, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, or criminal background) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
Security. We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect personal information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
Location of Your Data. Dotdash Meredith is a U.S. company and your personal information will be transferred to, processed, stored, and accessed by us, the Dotdash Meredith companies, and our service providers in the United States and in other jurisdictions where we or they operate, which may not provide you with the same level of privacy protection as you are entitled to in your jurisdiction. When you visit our Services, you consent to the processing of your personal information in the United States and other jurisdictions as described here.
EU-U.S. Privacy Shield. Meredith adheres to the principles of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework (“Privacy Shield Principles”) as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information transferred from the European Union (“EU”) to the United States; however, we do not rely on the Privacy Shield Principles when we transfer or receive personal information transferred from the EU. If there is any conflict between the terms in this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles will govern. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, please visit the Privacy Shield website.
Meredith is responsible for the processing of personal information it receives under the Privacy Shield Principles or subsequently transfers to a third party acting as an agent on its behalf. Meredith complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers from the EU and European Economic Area (“EEA”), including onward transfer liability provisions.
The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction over Meredith’s compliance with its obligations under the Privacy Shield Principles. In certain situations, Meredith may be required to disclose personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, Meredith commits to resolve complaints about our collection or use of your personal information. EU individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our Privacy Shield policy should first contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meredith has further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to JAMS, an established alternative dispute-resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not resolved your complaint, please contact or visit JAMS or call 800-352-5267 to file a complaint. If the arbitrator finds that you cannot afford to pay JAMS’s filing, administrative, hearing, and/or other fees and you cannot obtain a waiver from JAMS, Meredith will pay them for you.
Changes to Our Privacy Statement. The “LAST UPDATED” legend at the top of this Privacy Statement indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Services.
Rights for Our California Residents
This section applies only to residents of California. It describes how we collect, use, and share the personal information of California residents in our capacity as a “business” under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) and your rights with respect to that information. For purposes of this section, the term “personal information” has the meaning given in the CCPA but does not include information that is aggregated or that cannot be reasonably linked to you (or that is otherwise exempt from the CCPA’s requirements).
Personal information that we collect, use and disclose. The chart below summarizes the personal information we may have collected about you over the past 12 months by reference to the categories of personal information specified in the CCPA, as well as with whom we may have shared it. Please note that we do not sell your personal information.
|Categories of personal information we may collect:||Examples:||Parties with whom each category of personal information may be shared:|
|Information with special protections, if you choose to provide it||
|Professional or employment information, if you choose to provide it||
|Internet or network information||
|Other information you may choose to provide||
Sources. We describe the sources from which we collect this personal information in the section above entitled What Personal Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect It?
Purposes. We describe the business and commercial purposes for which we collect this personal information in the section above entitled How Do We Use Your Personal Information?
Your California privacy rights. As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may decline your request as permitted by law.
Right to Know
You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information during the past 12 months:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected
- The categories of sources from which we collected personal information
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting and/or selling personal information
- The categories of third parties with whom we share personal information
- The categories of personal information that we sold or disclosed for a business purpose
- The categories of third parties to whom the personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose
- You can also request a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you during the past 12 months.
- You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your personal information during the past 12 months:
- Right to Request Deletion. You can ask us to delete the personal information that we have collected from you.
- Right to Non-discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising these rights.
- We do not “sell” your personal information.
We will need to verify your identity to process your access and deletion requests and reserve the right to confirm your California residency. To verify your identity, we may require government identification, a declaration under penalty of perjury, or other information. Your authorized agent may make a request on your behalf upon our verification of the agent’s identity and our receipt of a copy of a valid power of attorney given to your authorized agent pursuant to California Probate Code Sections 4000-4465. If you have not provided your agent with such a power of attorney, you must provide your agent with written and signed permission to exercise your CCPA rights on your behalf, provide the information we request to verify your identity, and provide us with confirmation that you have given the authorized agent permission to submit the request.
Financial Incentive Notice. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under California law. We do offer various financial incentives. For example, we offer discounts on subscriptions for magazines and other products and services or the opportunity to win a prize in return for completing surveys. If you are a member of Bizrate Rewards, you earn points that are redeemable for eGift cards at stores by completing surveys. When you take these surveys, we collect the following categories of information: identifiers (your e-mail address and name) and the responses you provide. You can opt into this program by opting to take one of our surveys and submitting your responses or by joining the Bizrate Rewards program. If you opt in, you can later opt out by cancelling your membership in Bizrate Rewards, or if you are not a member of that program, by informing us that you would like to withdraw consent by e-mailing us at email@example.com. In determining the value of this data, we consider the profit generated from providing certain data to our merchant partners, which is reasonably correlated to the discounts and other incentives we provide to consumers.
Rights for our Nevada Residents
We do not “sell” your personal information as that term is defined under Nevada law.
How Can You Learn More?
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us via e-mail by clicking here or by writing to:
Bizrate Insights, Inc.
Attention: Privacy Department
225 High Ridge Rd., East Building
Stamford, CT 06905
Because e-mail communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your e-mails to us.