Dec 20th Emerges as Magic Date for Online Holiday Shopping
Only 17% of shoppers have already finished Christmas shopping by Dec 15
Our retail clients have asked Bizrate Insights about customers’ expectations around on-time Christmas gift delivery. You asked – we answered!
90% of customers believe that it is reasonable to expect a shipment by December 24th that they have bought on or before December 20th for regular or free shipping fees. However, 51% of customers believe that it is reasonable to expect that same on-time delivery by December 24th for orders placed on December 20th-23rd when expedited shipping fees are paid.
Furthermore, based on last year’s late deliveries, over 50% of online buyers planned to order online earlier this year than last year and over 30% planned to shift some of their buying to stores and away from online.
Hayley Silver, Vice President of Bizrate Insight explains, “The magic date to maximize online buying for on-time Christmas delivery is around Dec 20th year after year. That said, online buying will continue all the way up to Christmas, with 12% of customers still planning to buy online up until December 23rd or later.”
Retailers Action Steps
- Set your deadline for on-time deliveries at standard shipping fees no earlier than December 19th. Allow for on-time deliveries at higher shipping fees through December 23rd.
- Proactively push notifications that tells customers exactly where their package is and when it will arrive.
- Send notification when a package has been delivered.
About the study: The Bizrate Insights Last Christmas Delivery Study was conducted via the Bizrate Insights survey platform and offered to online buyers immediately after purchasing from the Bizrate Insights Network of over 5,000 e-commerce retailers in the US and Canada. Data from the study was collected from 6,169 online buyers from December 11 – 15, 2014.
Click here to download the study.
Latest posts by Hayley Silver
- “What Consumers Really Want: The Surprising Facts” — iMedia Commerce Presentation - April 19, 2016
- State of Retailing Online 2016 Released: The Top 3 Take-Aways - January 7, 2016
- Consumers Want Gift Cards This Holiday Season, But May Be Reluctant to Buy Them - November 23, 2015