Bizrate Insights’ Social Media Series Part 1: Year-Over-Year Trends in Social Media Usage (2009 – 2011)
Over the past few years, Bizrate Insights has been tracking online buyers’ social media usage, and more specifically, whether they interact with retailers. As more retailers increase their social media presence, the percentage of online buyers who “like” or “follow” a retailer via social media has grown significantly. As part of its Hot Topic program, Bizrate Insights asked several questions related to online buyers’ social media usage in both 2009 and 2010. In August 2011, these questions were pulsed again, this time as part of a study with Sucharita Mulpuru of Forrester Research.
Social Media Usage
• Social media usage has increased from 54% in 2009 to 63% in 2011.
• Consumers “liking” or “following” retailers has grown significantly year over year, from 6% in 2009 to 19% in 2011.
Top 5 Reasons Online Buyers Follow Retailers via Social Media
1. To find out about special deals.
2. To hear about the latest events.
3. To give retailers their vote of approval or appreciation.
4. To read the latest news on the company.
5. Because they like having the retailer listed on their profile
Top 3 Reasons Online Buyers Do Not Follow Retailers via Social Media
1. It didn’t occur to them.
2. They are not interested.
3. They don’t see the benefit.