Bizrate Insights News Round-Up: August 2019
From tariffs, to artificial intelligence, to pop-up ads, here’s where Bizrate Insights’ data made the news in August:
- Opinion is divided among online retailers about the effect of rising tariffs on their business. Some say they will have no impact, some are increasing prices, and others are taking a wait-and-see approach:
- Internet Retailer, “Nearly a quarter of online retailers plan tariff-related price increases.” Aug 2, 2019.
- Groupon acquires customer service startup Presence AI. Our data shows why message-based communication is so important:
- Street Insider, “Groupon Acquires Presence AI.” Aug 8, 2019.
- Emarketer looked at Gen X’s attitudes towards advertising on smartphones and tablets and found a growing frustration with ad repetition:
- eMarketer, “Five charts: Gauging Gen X’s digital device usage and attitudes towards advertising.” Aug 12, 2019
- Social commerce is the most popular new retail technology in the US:
- Mobile Marketer, “Social commerce sees highest adoption among retail technologies, study says.” August 26, 2019.
- What kind of ads annoy users the most? It depends on the platform, but pop-ups and videos with sound are equally hated by desktop and mobile users:
- eMarketer, “Which types of ads annoy consumers most?” Aug 29, 2019.
- Visual search is not used regularly by consumers yet, with only 7% of users familiar with it according to Bizrate Insights data. Gartner rates it as “on the rise” and several high-profile companies are investing in it:
- MediaPost, “Gartner optimistic about visual search as an emerging technology.” Aug 29, 2019.